Monday, April 14, 2014

Maybelline Color Elixir Hibiscus Haven Review and Lip Swatch


I was bad. I broke my No Buy. Whoops. Why you ask? To buy a Maybelline Color Elixir. Maybelline is currently 40% off at Ulta so I could not pass this up. These normally retail for $8.99 where I live, and with CA sales tax that brings to just about $10. Ouch. With the 40% off + a manufacturer coupon I had, I only paid $4-ish for it.


I love this packaging. So deceiving! The doe-foot applicator is really nice.


Even though there were massive raves about this product, it took me this long to cave since I have dry, dry lips. Even products others rave about as being moisturizing, I find leave my lips dry. I'm sooooo happy to report Maybelline Color Elixirs are actually hydrating! SCORE!


When I first opened the product, I almost wanted to return it. It has this horrendous fake chemically sweet floral smell. BLEH. Luckily, this fades once it's on the lips, because if it hadn't I would have returned it pronto!


You can see in the above swatch Maybelline Color Elixir Hibiscus Haven is a bright cool toned light, blue-pink.


Here is one layer of Hibiscus Haven:


 Here is two layers of Hibiscus Haven:


Now you can see, even at two layers, it is see-through in places. To be fair I have pretty pigmented lips, but I also have to mention, I looked up swatches beforehand and saw people with much more pigmented lips, have a full opaque color on their lips. I can only guess they layered this on... a lot. As much as I love the feel of thick gloss, more than two layers would just be way too much on my lips. So realistically the above color, patchiness and all, is how the color appears in real life application.


Also, look at what happens when I rub my lips together. The product pools into that gummy line towards the middle of my lips, that some glosses tend to do. Just an FYI if you have the habit of rubbing your lips together like I do.


The feel of this product is so, so, so similar to the old formulation of the Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss, my old favorite drugstore lip gloss. This made me quite happy! It's a thick, lacquer/gel/plasticky feel, though not overtly sticky. It's sort of a silicone-y, thick, slickness when you rub your lips together, but it doesn't feel heavy on the lip. I personally love that thick, cushiony gloss feel.

I plan to pick up more of these. I love that they actually hydrate my lips and have decent color pigmentation. I just have to be super careful about not rubbing my lips together!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I've seen these being swatched by everyone in different shades and I'd really like one or two but I've got lots of lip products I want to try to use right now! This looks like such a wearable light pink shade! I have none like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I had about four in my hand, and I had to force myself to only buy one, since there are so many products I still want to try!

      Delete